In December 2020, Jobs to Move America signed our third Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) with electric bus manufacturer Proterra and United Steelworkers Local 675 (USW 675).
The CBA will lead to transformative investments in Los Angeles communities to train, support, and hire workers for skilled union jobs in zero-emissions bus manufacturing at Proterra’s City of Industry facility.
The CBA includes commitments to:
- Allow for the creation of worker-led groups, such as the Latinx Group and Veterans Groups. JMA, USW 675, and Proterra will be able to jointly review feedback from the groups to identify resources for ongoing worker-identified needs.
- Develop a pre-hire training program. This objective was realized earlier this year with the launch of a first-of-its-kind Electric Bus Manufacturing technology training program at Proterra.
- Develop an apprenticeship program.
- Expand Proterra’s Spanish-English language capacity beginning with the translation of key documents to ensure ESL workers are set up for success.
- Allow JMA coalition partners to provide ongoing supportive services, such as case management, for workers with employee approval.