Join Jobs to Move America from September 10-14 for a transformative trip through Alabama, the center of the civil rights movement and the growing Black-led worker justice movement. This is an opportunity to significantly contribute to the worker organizing and corporate accountability fight in the Deep South, and take a deeper dive into the history, culture and community building of the Southern labor movement.
Alabama has a rich and complex civil rights and labor history. It’s important to see it and learn in person in order to truly understand the significance of organizing in the South, and the promise of what is possible when we all join the movement.
Places and experiences that will be included in the itinerary:
- Birmingham, JMA’s Southern base, is steeped in civil rights and worker organizing history. See the vision for a worker organizing center and meet coalition and community partners who are leading the new Southern worker movement from within.
- Anniston, where the Ku Klux Klan bombed and beat a bus full of Freedom Riders in 1961; industrial giant Monsanto knowingly poisoned residents from toxic chemical production; and site of the New Flyer electric vehicle factory where JMA negotiated a historic Community Benefits Agreement for thousands of workers and the community.
- Bessemer, to meet former Amazon workers who fought to organize the warehouse in the effort to improve exploitative working conditions.
- Along the way, learn the history of Black worker organizing that has led to the movement of today, spoken through community, civil rights and labor leaders on the ground fighting for a better Alabama.
When: September 10-September 14, 2023 (4 nights). Participants should schedule flights to arrive for the welcome dinner on Sunday 9/10 and depart on Thursday 9/14. Full days Monday morning through Wednesday night.
What’s Included: Trip and tour expenses and a tax-deductible contribution to JMA.
- Covered trip expenses include a 4-night hotel stay, ground transportation and meals.
- Also includes tours, activities, guest speakers/guides who are history, civil rights and labor experts.
- JMA will plan, book and coordinate trip programming, activities, lodging and select meals.
- Airfare is not included. Participants should make their own arrangements to travel to Birmingham, AL.
- Couples traveling as a pair are eligible for lower price based on shared hotel accommodation.
- Price covers estimated expenses of approximately $2,500 per person. An additional charitable contribution to help fuel JMA’s Southern work and grow our movement is optional.
- Space is limited to 20 participants.
Pricing: Individual: $2,500 | Couple: $3,500 with shared accommodation
If you’re interested in reserving your spot, fill out the form below. For questions, email Executive Assistant email@example.com.