Reports to: Illinois Director
Application Deadline: Accepted until filled
Position Type: Full-Time ─ Exempt
ABOUT JOBS TO MOVE AMERICA
Jobs to Move America (JMA) is a national strategic policy center that works to transform public spending and corporate behavior using a comprehensive approach that is rooted in racial and economic justice, and community organizing. We seek to advance a fair and worker-centered economy with good jobs and healthier communities for all. To learn more, visit our website: www.jobstomoveamerica.org
As we see more and more investments in the green industrial economy, JMA is at the forefront of smart policy and strategic organizing to win real benefits for communities and workers who too often have been left behind. As the Illinois Organizer, you will be responsible for leading and growing the network of workers, grassroots community members, and coalition partners that are engaged in our campaigns to win community benefits agreements and worker-centered equity policies. The Organizer pays special attention to organizing key stakeholders that can include workers at a specific worksite, grassroots community members in key geographic areas, and/or organizational and union partners to advance a shared vision of public goods for the most public good.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain substantial 1:1 relationships through regular meetings and consistent follow-up with key stakeholders including developing and running monthly coalition meetings
- Initiate the development of new worker/community alliances and strategies that help build grassroots power and infrastructure to win campaigns
- Ensure implementation of our community benefits agreement with a local manufacturer to develop jobs pipelines that prioritize hiring and training of workers of color, women, veterans, and people with records
- Comply with all organizational policies and procedures, including timely attention to administrative responsibilities
- Contribute to JMA’s organizational development, for example assisting with fundraising, providing peer evaluations, and participating in JMA staff committees (not to exceed 15% of time)
- (For Senior Level) Act as an effective spokesperson for JMA’s vision, work and campaigns and represent JMA in high-stakes meeting with decision makers
- (For Senior Level) Strengthen JMA’s organizing program, strategies and toolkit by producing organizing and campaign materials and contributing to strategic planning
Qualifications and Expectations
The ideal candidate is able to dive into our campaigns and take initiative over their work. You should have most of the following qualifications:
- Minimum 2-5 years experience organizing with workers, community groups, and/or unions to win comprehensive strategic campaigns. Candidates with more than 3 years relevant campaign experience may be considered for senior level position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including recruiting and developing leaders and engaging diverse stakeholders via tailored messaging
- Ability to continually assess and deepen the commitment of key stakeholders
- Develop engagement plans, conduct 1 on 1s, develop leaders, and facilitate meetings to move coalition and/or worker committee members to agreement and collective action
- Maintain good judgment, flexibility and creative thinking in difficult situations and evolving circumstances
- Demonstrate self-awareness, empathy, and social skills in work and interpersonal interactions
- Ability to build and sustain authentic and productive working relationships with colleagues across race and other group identities, including JMA staff as well as external partners
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- (For Senior Level) Ability to develop and follow a work plan independently
- (For Senior Level) Familiarity with workforce development, training programs, abor unions, policy and/or research
- (For Senior Level) Knowledge of and experience working within the political landscape and dynamics within diverse coalition spaces in Chicagoland and/or Illinois
Note: This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned based on the evolving needs of the work.
Compensation for this role is $53,500-$70,500 for staff level or $63,500-$78,500 for senior level depending on experience. Benefits include annual raises, full health and dental benefits at no premium cost to the employee, Flexible Spending Account, cell phone and transit pass reimbursement, generous time off including 12 personal days off a year, 12 paid vacation days, 12 sick days, 12 paid holidays, paid family leave and eligibility to apply for a paid sabbatical after 5 years. JMA also provides a 401(k) plan with 5% employer contribution after 6 months of employment and professional development opportunities. This position is part of the staff union. JMA staff are working remotely for the remainder of 2021 and receive a monthly work-from-home stipend of $75/month. The organizer should have access to a reliable vehicle and will receive mileage and parking reimbursement for work-related mileage.
How to Apply:
Please complete the form at the following link https://tinyurl.com/3kn95x6h and upload a cover letter, resume, and three work references (preferably as a single PDF) as soon as possible. Cover letter must describe your commitment to JMA’s mission and your ability to be successful in this role. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only applications submitted via the above link will be considered. No phone calls, please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications may not receive a reply. Applicants may be asked to provide a writing sample and/or perform an exercise later in the selection process.
JMA Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
We are an EEO/affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Those who identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups are strongly encouraged to apply
JMA Diversity and Inclusion Statement
JMA believes that a diverse, engaged, and motivated staff are essential to achieving our goals of economic, racial, and social justice. JMA believes that each employee voice is valuable and that when all employees contribute to ideas to the organization’s operation, it enhances the success of the organization overall.