Jobs to Move America is seeking a full-time Senior Researcher for its National Program. The Senior Researcher will conduct and coordinate research for the National Program’s work to build awareness and support for equitable infrastructure practices. The Senior Researcher will also gather information to support campaigns to encourage global manufacturing firms to commit to creating family-sustaining US jobs, and to generate economic opportunities for communities of color, women, and other groups that have historically faced systemic barriers to accessing family-sustaining jobs.
Applicants can work out of JMA offices in New York or Chicago.
Initial responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to JMA’s research on US transportation sector manufacturing companies and companies in related areas of manufacturing.
- Detailed research on multiple facets of mass-transit vehicle manufacturing and deployment, including related topics such as procurement, contracting, and policy considerations.
- Gathering data for a quantitative study on procurement and contracting practices that support good jobs and community investment.
- The Senior Researcher will also be encouraged to take on other projects, and develop ideas for work that can support JMA’s efforts on multiple fronts.
- Demonstrated experience in detailed research, including performing literature review, conducting interviews, and interpreting and analyzing numerical data. Demonstrated experience in producing thorough, objective research projects.
- The ability to write clearly for a wide range of constituencies, including the ability to succinctly summarize findings, and to explain technical information to non-technical readers.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, gender, and social justice movements.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently, and to take initiative. Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and collaborate as part of a team.
- Interest in working across teams and taking part in JMA committees.
- Experience and comfort working in multicultural settings.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Five years of prior work experience as a researcher or policy analyst. Experience as a researcher with unions, policy organizations, or community groups is ideal.
- Experience analyzing corporations and industry practices.
- Demonstrated success requesting and obtaining public records from local, state, and the federal government.
- Experience with statistical data analysis.
- Experience in workers’ rights research, local government policymaking, or public transportation.
Extra consideration will be given to candidates who:
- Identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups.
- Have experience working in the labor movement.
- Have a master’s degree, especially in public policy, economics, or related fields, or equivalent experience.
Terms of Employment: The salary range for this position is $57,000 – $75,000, depending on experience. JMA offers full family health benefits (at no premium cost to the employee), retirement, generous time off, cell-phone reimbursement, and work-related mileage reimbursement or transit pass reimbursement. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that recognizes high-quality work.
Application Process: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Researcher” in the subject line. Applicants will only be contacted if they meet the minimum requirements. Selected applicants will be asked to provide a sample of their research work. Please do not call.
JMA is an affirmative action employer, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative actions. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are impacted by systematic barriers, as well as institutional and societal discrimination.