Jobs to Move America is seeking a full-time Senior Researcher for its Southern Program, based in Birmingham, Alabama. The Strategic Researcher will play a key role in conducting and coordinating research to support the Southern and National Programs’ work to build awareness and support for equitable infrastructure practices among decision makers, policy leaders, and labor and community-based organizations across the country. The Senior Researcher will also support community benefits agreement campaigns that encourage global manufacturing firms to commit to create family-sustaining U.S. jobs and to generate economic opportunities for low-income, communities of color, women, and other groups that have historically faced systematic barriers to accessing family-sustaining jobs.
Local and statewide campaigns
- Analyze existing laws and public decision-making processes to inform policy development and campaign strategy.
- Prepare community profiles that compile demographic, employment, and income data, using public data sources.
- Track local and state public agency agendas and associated materials on topics related to public investments in new transportation infrastructure and manufactured equipment.
- Track current debates about relevant policy solutions, such as zero emission vehicle mandates, targeted hiring, sales tax increases to supplement funding for new transportation infrastructure.
Community benefits agreement campaigns
- Collaborate with the Southern Director and coalition partners to develop and execute research workplans to support campaign goals.
- Prepare, file, and track public records requests.
- Monitor job quality issues across the industry.
- Identify and track public subsidies connected to job and equity outcomes and investment in clean technology.
Data collection, analysis, and reports
- Track, assess, and recommend new campaign opportunities based upon industry trends.
- Design and administer original surveys to workers, company representatives, industry leaders.
- Collaborate with the Alabama Director and Policy Coordinator to write and publish white papers and research reports that illustrate key findings to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, gender, and social justice movements.
- Ability to work well in a team and take initiative. Detail-oriented and accountable to team goals and individual workplan.
- Experience and comfort working in multicultural settings.
- Excellent writing skills for a policy-making audience, including ability to succinctly summarize findings.
- Strong verbal communication skills and experience making presentations for a wide range of audiences, including testimonies to government agencies and to community organizations.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Excel to execute complex formulas and to create illustrative graphs and charts. Experience with statistics to conduct data analysis.
- Proficiency in basic qualitative research skills, including internet searches, interviews, surveys, and organizing focus groups.
- Experience analyzing policy options and components, providing recommendations on policy options.
- One year of prior work experience as a researcher or policy analyst. Experience as a researcher with unions, policy organizations or community groups is ideal.
- Experience analyzing corporations and industry practices regarding employment issues.
- Experience in worker’s rights research, local government policymaking, budgeting, or public transportation.
Extra consideration will be given to candidates who:
- Identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups.
- Have experience working in the labor movement.
- Have a master’s degree, especially in public policy, economics, or similar fields, or equivalent experience.
Terms of Employment: The salary range for this position is $57,000 – $70,000, depending on experience. JMA offers full family health and health benefits (at no premium cost to the employee), retirement, generous time off, cell-phone reimbursement and work-related mileage reimbursement or transit pass reimbursement. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that recognizes high-quality work.
Application Process: Please email your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Researcher” in the subject line. Applicants will only be contacted if they meet the minimum requirements. Selected applicants will be asked to provide additional samples of their research work and asked to complete a writing assignment. Please do not call.
Application Deadline: July 26, 2020. This position will be open until filled and starts immediately.
JMA is an affirmative action employer, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative actions. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are impacted by systematic barriers, as well as institutional and societal discrimination.