Reports to: California Director
Position Type: Full-Time ─ Exempt
At this critical time for lower-income, frontline communities and people of color, JMA is uniquely positioned to advance a powerful agenda for equitable job creation and climate justice, as well as expanded access to training for historically underrepresented groups. As the California Senior Policy and Research Coordinator, you will lead the strategic research and policy campaigns and report to the CA Director. This position will be located in Los Angeles, CA. The position will be remote through 2022 in accordance with public safety guidelines, though we anticipate this role being mostly in-person in the long term.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing strategic campaign plans that anticipate the needs of programs focused on increasing transparency and worker power in green manufacturing, the CA green manufacturing supply chain, and the clean energy economy.
- Developing and advocating for good jobs policies that incorporate racial and environmental justice.
- Conducting economic and policy analysis to inform campaign strategy, ensuring that companies winning taxpayer funded contracts are held accountable to the public through the negotiation and enforcement of community benefits agreements and respecting workers’ rights to organize.
- Adapting policy, research, and collateral materials to accommodate the changing needs of the campaigns.
- Working collaboratively on policy and research priorities with the CA team and labor, workforce development, environmental, and community partners.
- Writing and producing memos, letters, white papers, and other advocacy materials to be used with targeted audiences.
- In coordination with the CA Director, cultivating and maintaining relationships with leaders and staff at key transit agencies and the offices of elected officials.
- Representing JMA at events and conferences.
The ideal candidate is able to dive into our campaigns and take initiative over their work, and has strategic research and policy analysis experience, solid writing and verbal communication skills, and strong planning practices. You should have most of the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, social, racial, gender, and climate justice.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience doing strategic research, policy work, and/or corporate campaigns.
- Experience in government, politics, public policy, and/or legislation with an understanding of Los Angeles and California politics.
- Experience with labor unions and corporate campaigns strongly preferred.
- Ability to perform strategic research thoroughly, efficiently, and objectively.
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion and develop goal-oriented strategic plans that demonstrate an understanding of the intersection between research, policy advocacy, organizing and communications.
- Able to take the lead in developing a strategic campaign plan that anticipates the needs of the campaign.
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and computer skills, including competency with Google Suite and Adobe.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders. Experience operating successfully in a politically sensitive climate.
- Experience working in a diverse coalition and building consensus.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, empathy, and social skills in work and interpersonal interactions.
- $67,500-80,500 depending on years of experience
- Employer pays 100 percent of medical, dental, and vision premiums
- Generous time off including 12 personal days, 12 paid vacation days, 12 sick days, 12 paid holidays, paid family leave, and eligibility to apply for a paid sabbatical after 5 years
- Annual raises
- 401(k) plan with 5% employer contribution after 6 months of employment
- Flexible Spending Account
- Work from home stipend of $75/month
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Mileage and parking reimbursement for work-related mileage
- Qualifying Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) employer
- Professional development opportunities
- Work from home office set up provided if needed
- This position is part of the staff union
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings
- Due to COVID-19, all JMA employees are temporarily working remotely.
How to Apply
Please use the following link https://jmaportal.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=10 to apply. No phone calls, please. Applicants may be asked to provide a writing sample and/or perform a writing exercise later in the selection process.
JMA Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
We are an EEO/affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Those who identify as persons of color, women, LGBTQ, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups are strongly encouraged to apply
JMA Diversity and Inclusion Statement
JMA believes that a diverse, engaged, and motivated staff are essential to achieving our goals of economic, racial, and social justice. JMA believes that each employee voice is valuable and that when all employees contribute to ideas to the organization’s operation, it enhances the success of the organization overall.