JMA is seeking a full-time Operations Manager. The person in this role will play a critical role in managing the day-to-day administrative operations of JMA. They will play a collaborative role in developing and implementing systems that increase organizational effectiveness and efficiency and support JMA’s growth and success of JMA staff and programs. This candidate is highly organized, detail-oriented thrives on making things run well as well as a proactive, creative problem solver excited to support social justice work.
The target starting date is May 1, 2020. Applications are due April 10, 2020.
The Operations Manager, who will be based in Los Angeles, will be responsible for the following:
Office Management (60% of role)
- Oversee general operations & IT as well as coordination and communication between all operational functions for all JMA’s four offices (Los Angeles, New York, Alabama, and Chicago).
- Proactively streamline office systems and procedures, providing innovative solutions to support our growing staff and increase efficiency and productivity across all offices.
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed, including coordinating events and meetings, travel arrangements, and other necessary administrative tasks.
- Purchasing office supplies and equipment.
- Research, propose, and implement improvements to processes to foster team collaboration and a culture of respect.
Human Resources (20% of role)
- Handle HR and accounting processes with sensitivity and care.
- Support payroll activities and other compliance-related activities.
- Coordinate onboarding and offboarding of staff, and support hiring for open positions (post job descriptions).
- Support HR processes such as vacation/sick time tracking; health benefits enrollments, changes, and terminations; and 401k enrollment and access.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
Accounting (20% of role)
- Support Finance Director with accounting processes including preparing reimbursements and reconciling monthly credit card statements, year-end closing, and year-end audit process.
- Assisting in preparation and control of operations budgets.
- Training personnel to learn new portal or systems.
- Ensure that financial operational activities are executed and delivered as per the standards set by the organization.
- Ensure that accounting requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
- Relevant experience: 4+ years of experience in office management, HR, and/or nonprofit business operations.
- Tech-savvy: IT plays a significant role in operations and this candidate must have a working knowledge of IT, including both Windows and Mac OS and advanced understanding of office software including Adobe, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office programs. Knowledge of Concur is a plus.
- Possess a high level of honesty and integrity effective communicator.
- Strong writing skills: a must, as the majority of the work is to write procedures and guidelines in order for operations to have a good workflow.
- Problem-solving: a passion for people, processes, and spearheading improvements. Ability to develop, implement and review policies and procedures.
- Resourcefulness: figuring out how to get things done even if there isn’t a pattern for it.
- Exceptional organization and planning: able to juggle and multi-task with acute attention to detail and follow-through.
- Adaptable: work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Service-Oriented: finds joy being in a supportive role and enjoy helping others.
- Deadline-oriented: ability to navigate a constantly-changing environment and occasional high-pressure situations with a calm, collection, and a can-do attitude.
- Mission driven: deep connection with our mission and organizational core values to share power, bring energy, clear the path, celebrate growth, and apply an equity lens.
- Strong work ethic and growth-oriented.
- Team player: able to work well in a collaborative work environment and with an all-remote environment across multiple time zones
- Basic accounting or bookkeeping knowledge is preferred.
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting practices.
Terms of employment: The salary range for the position is $53,000 to $56,000/year and is dependent upon experience. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits (at no premium cost to the employee) retirement, generous time off, cell phone reimbursement and work-related mileage reimbursement.
Must have reliable personal transportation as trips to the bank and postal service office will be required. This is a confidential position. Work hours are generally 9-5 or10-6 Monday through Friday, however, based on need you may be required to work additional hours.
Application process: Please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF by April 10, 2020. Please mention where you found the listing. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Pre-employment exercises: To finalize the recruitment process for this role, applicants will be asked to complete assignments, such as a writing test and situational judgment test to confirm that they have the required skills.
JMA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.