Please note that Jobs to Move America staff are currently working from home. We are exploring ways to move forward for the remainder of the year to ensure the safest working conditions and environment for all of our staff.
Jobs to Move America is seeking a full-time Operations Manager. The person in this role will play a critical role in managing the day-to-day administrative operations of the organization. They will play a collaborative role in developing and implementing systems that increase organizational effectiveness and efficiency and support JMA’s growth and success of JMA staff and programs. This candidate is highly organized, detail-oriented thrives on making things run well and passionate about social justice.
Office Management (40% of role)
- Oversee general operations as well as coordination and communication between all operational functions for JMA’s offices (Los Angeles, New York, Alabama, and Chicago)
- Proactively streamline office systems and procedures, providing innovative solutions to support our growing staff and increase efficiency and productivity across all offices.
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed, including coordinating events and meetings,travel arrangements, office supplies purchasing, and other necessary administrative tasks.
- Manage all equipment and software setup.
Human Resources (30% of role)
- Handle HR processes with sensitivity and care.
- Process payroll activities and other compliance-related matters.
- Coordinate onboarding and offboarding of staff, and support hiring for open positions (post job descriptions).
- Support HR processes such as vacation/sick time tracking; health benefits enrollments, changes, and terminations; and 401K enrollment and access.
- Research, propose, and implement improvements to processes to foster team collaboration and a culture of respect.
- Act in a confidential capacity to the management team who develop, determine, and operationalize policies with regards to labor relations.
- Supporting any handling of unfair labor practice and grievances cases.
Accounting (10% of role)
- Support Finance Director with accounting processes including preparing reimbursements and reconciling monthly credit card statements, year-end closing, and year-end audit process.
- Training personnel to learn new portal and systems.
- Ensure that financial operational activities are executed and delivered as per the standards set by the organization.
- Work with directors and finance to resolve sensitive financial issues related to payroll, accounts payable, general accounting, and grants.
- Support process related to the organization’s risk management and internal control processes for operating effectively.
OPERATIONS MANAGER REQUIREMENTS:
- Relevant experience: 4+ years of experience in office management, HR, and/or nonprofit business operations or a Bachelor’s degree in operations management or HR-related field.
- Basic accounting or bookkeeping knowledge is preferred.
- Tech savvy: IT plays a significant role in operations and this candidate must have a working knowledge of IT, including both Windows and Mac OS and advanced understanding of office software including Adobe, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office programs. Knowledge of Concur is a plus.
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting practices.
- Resourceful problem-solver: a passion for people, processes, and spearheading improvements.
- Exceptional organization and planning skills: able to juggle and multi-task with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong verbal and written communicator as this job requires communicating with people at different levels.
- Mission driven: Deep connection with our mission and organizational core values to share power, bring energy, clear the path, celebrate growth, and apply an equity lens.
- Strong work ethic and growth-oriented.
- Service-oriented: Finds joy being in a supportive role and enjoys helping others.
- Possess a high level of honesty and integrity.
- Team player: Able to work well in a collaborative work environment and with an all-remote environment across multiple time zones
- Deadline-oriented: Ability to navigate a constantly-changing environment and occasional high-pressure situations with a calm, collection, and a can-do attitude.
- Must have reliable personal transportation as trips to the bank and postal service office will be required.
Terms of employment: The salary range for this position is $54,000 – $59,000, depending on experience. JMA offers full family health benefits (at no premium cost to the employee), retirement, generous time off, cell-phone reimbursement, and work-related mileage reimbursement or transit pass reimbursement. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that recognizes high-quality work. The Operations Manager will work remotely (due to Covid-19) with occasional visits to the office.
This is a confidential position. Work hours are generally 9 am to 5 pm, 10 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday, however, based on a need you may be required to work additional hours and be flexible.
Application Process: E-mail cover letter, resume, and three work references to firstname.lastname@example.org in one single PDF by July 3, 2020. Please mention where you found the listing. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Due to COVID-19 interviews will be conducted virtually.
Pre-employment exercises: To finalize the recruitment process for this role, applicants will be asked to complete a writing assignment and technical skills assessment.
JMA is an equal opportunity employer with a goal to empower diverse people to fulfill their full potential. We actively welcome and encourage people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and people with
disabilities to apply.