Please note that JMA staff are currently working from home. We are exploring ways to move forward for the remainder of the year to ensure the safest working conditions and environment for all of our staff.
Jobs to Move America is seeking a talented communicator with a commitment to social justice to help establish and implement multi-channel communications strategies, campaigns, and media relations programs across the country. We have offices in Alabama, California, Illinois, and New York.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to develop communications plans, draft press releases and other communications materials. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload on deadline. This position is an opportunity to engage with coalition partners, journalists and public officials to help bring about economic, environmental, and social change.
The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director and will be responsible for the following:
- Working with team members to develop agency-wide strategic communications plans.
- Working with team members to ensure all external-facing messaging reflects branding and message platforms.
- Working with team members to ensure communications work is aligned with long-term strategic communications goals.
- Drafting and writing press releases, talking points, op-eds, media advisories, and newsletters.
- Working with JMA staff to maintain an editorial calendar that includes potential op-eds, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
- Implementing campaign and communications tactics with effective framing and messaging for various campaigns.
- Helping to maintain JMA’s website and manage social media outlets.
- Preparing and training spokespeople for media and campaign events.
- Building and maintaining email lists on MailChimp.
- Planning and executing media events.
- Pitching and placing stories in various media outlets.
- Developing, editing and designing campaign materials including talking points, fact sheets, reports, pamphlets, brochures, flyers, PowerPoints, etc.
- Developing and managing paid advertising on Facebook, Google, and Twitter through effective targeting.
- Monitoring press coverage of JMA, coalition partners, and key issues impacting our work.
We’re seeking results-oriented candidates who excel in writing and are able to take initiative with minimal supervision.
- 3+ years of communications experience with political advocacy campaigns, nonprofits, in labor movement, or political, community organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to implement strategic communications tactics, craft persuasive messages.
- Exceptional writing and excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, and high-pressure.
- Collaborative and able to work closely with remote team members.
- Skilled at crafting effective messaging/talking points to win campaigns.
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative, work with minimal guidance, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel.
- Demonstrated ability to implement strategic communications tactics and craft persuasive messages.
- Experience in the labor movement.
- Experience pitching to reporters/journalists.
- Familiarity with social media platforms.
- Experience working in organizations focused on labor, social and economic issues.
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, Google Ads highly preferred.
- Experience with analytical tools that measure the impact of different communication strategies (Example: Google Analytics).
EXTRA CONSIDERATION will be given for candidates who identify as persons of color, women, or formerly incarcerated persons and/or have had experience working with more than one of those groups.
Terms of Employment: The salary range for this position is $54,000 – $57,000, depending on experience. JMA offers full family health benefits (at no premium cost to the employee), retirement, generous time off, cell-phone reimbursement, and work-related mileage reimbursement or transit pass reimbursement. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that recognizes high-quality work.
Application Process: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Specialist” in the subject line. Please do not call.
JMA is an affirmative action employer. We make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are impacted by systematic barriers, as well as institutional and societal discrimination.