Please note that JMA staff are currently working from home. We are exploring ways to move forward for the remainder of the year to ensure the safest working conditions and environment for all of our staff.
Jobs to Move America is seeking a talented communicator with a commitment to social justice to help establish and implement multi-channel communications strategies, campaigns, and media relations programs across the country.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to develop communications plans, draft press releases and other communications materials. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload on deadline. This position is an opportunity to engage with coalition partners, journalists and public officials to help bring about economic, environmental, and social change.
The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director and will be responsible for the following:
Web Content and Management
- Manage JMA’s website and editorial calendar
- Solicit, edit, and publish written material on blog, newsletter and website
- Develop JMA’s digital campaigning program, capacity, and expertise
- Create digital campaign plans for JMA core campaigns
- Work with the communications team to develop messaging frameworks, communications plans and digital strategy for regional campaigns and national program.
- Work with campaign teams to craft communications strategies and digital campaigns plans that advance our campaign goals to win good jobs and healthy communities.
- Work collaboratively with teams to develop campaign communications plans that touch on framing/messaging, plans for media cultivation, digital campaign tactics, and other comms strategies.
- Pitch stories in mainstream media, trade press and other channels
- Comply with all organizational policies and procedures, including timely attention to administrative responsibilities
- Contribute to JMA’s organizational development, for example assisting with fundraising, providing peer evaluations, and participating in JMA staff committees (not to exceed 10% of time)
We’re seeking results-oriented candidates who excel in writing and are able to take initiative with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to tailor messages to various audiences
- Experience working on digital campaign strategies and educating others on digital campaign tools, methods and approaches, as necessary.
- Strong editor with understanding of the power of language and how to communicate to different audiences and ability to ensure that all external materials are accurate, precise and appropriate for the situation.
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, Google Ads.
- Experience with analytical tools that measure the impact of different communication strategies (Example: Google Analytics).
- Ability to foster a positive attitude towards co-development of new ideas across teams
- Ability to build and sustain authentic and productive working relationships with colleagues across race and other group identities, including JMA employees as well as external partners
- Demonstrated self-awareness, empathy, and social skills in work and interpersonal interactions
- Ability to participate in a culture of feedback with a commitment to continually strengthening practice of “courageous conversations,” including:
- communicating clearly and directly with colleagues
- being proactive to resolve conflicts and misunderstandings, especially across differences
- consistently strengthening ability and practice in giving and receiving both positive and constructive feedback to support each other’s learning and personal growth
- Maintain flexibility: be ready to take advantage of unexpected opportunities and adapt quickly to change
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion
- Familiarity with GoogleSuite
- Demonstrated ability to implement strategic communications tactics and craft persuasive messages.
- Experience in the labor movement.
- Experience pitching to reporters/journalists.
- Familiarity with social media platforms.
- Experience working in organizations focused on labor, social and economic issues.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone with reasonable accommodations
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned based on the evolving needs of the work.
JMA Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
We are an EEO/affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Those who identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
JMA Diversity and Inclusion Statement
JMA believes that diverse, engaged, and motivated employees are essential to achieving our goals of economic, racial and social justice. JMA believes that each employee voice is valuable and that when all employees contribute to ideas to the organization’s operation, it enhances the success of the organization overall.
Terms of Employment: The salary range for this position is $56,000 – $70,000, with a strong possibility that the range will increase to $62,000-$90,000 depending on experience and location. JMA offers full family health benefits (at no premium cost to the employee), retirement, generous time off, cell-phone reimbursement, and work-related mileage reimbursement or transit pass reimbursement. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that recognizes high-quality work.
JMA is an affirmative action employer. We make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are impacted by systematic barriers, as well as institutional and societal discrimination.