Jobs to Move America (JMA) is seeking a full-time Senior Community Organizer for its California program. The community organizer will manage a diverse coalition of labor, community, environmental, and faith based organizations to inform and drive the California Team’s policy and community benefits agreement campaigns. Through these campaigns, JMA is harnessing the power of public procurement to ensure recruitment of workers facing systematic barriers (e.g. people of color, women, systems impacted individuals, etc.) to manufacture green buses, trains and transit system equipment. The position will also support partner engagement for workforce, job equity and transparency policies to ensure public investment is creating the most public benefit for impacted families communities.
Coalition Management 60%
- Articulate JMA’s mission and values in a compelling way that motivates and mobilizes key stakeholders.
- Develop and deepen relationships with prospective and existing partner representatives from community based organizations, labor unions, etc.
- Conduct regular one-on-one meetings with coalition partners.
- Identify new potential partners to recruit.
- Develop a system to track communication and assess engagement level of partners.
- Plan, organize and facilitate monthly coalition meetings in coordination with the California Director.
Campaign Coordination 15%
- Participate in preparation, development and coordination of campaign strategies and direct actions in collaboration with the California Director, team, and coalition partners.
- Develop necessary materials to prepare coalition partners for public speaking engagements and meetings with decision makers.
- Develop and execute weekly and quarterly work plans that contribute to the advancement of JMA’s strategic campaigns.
- Develop and lead coalition sub-committees to coordinate advancing key campaign pieces.
- Participate in California funder meetings and contribute to the development of funder materials.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings, team check in meetings, and weekly one-on-ones with the California Director.
- Represent JMA’s CA team with community and labor partners
- Help position JMA as a leader in the broader California progressive movement
- Support related campaigns of coalition partners and allies by participating in partner meetings and coalitions.
- At least three years experience as a community organizer.
- Experience in coalition building and engagement as well as maintaining, tracking and regularly reporting on engagement and outreach.
- Ability to motivate and inspire others into action.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, gender and social justice movements.
- Experience in organizing groups, coalition partners and community stakeholders around social justice issues.
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline driven environment.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Experience and comfort working in multicultural settings.
- Strong verbal communication skills and experience making presentations for a wide range of audiences, including testimonies to government agencies and to community organizations.
Preferred, but not required qualifications:
- Experience organizing in California and understanding of nuances of California politics
- Experience working in the labor movement
- Experience in grassroots or worker organizing
- Experience integrating organizing, research and communications strategies into campaigns
- Familiarity with nuances of community-labor coalitions
- Experience planning/executing direct actions
- Experience working on Community Benefits campaigns
- Have access to a reliable vehicle
Extra consideration will be given to candidates who:
- Identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups
- Are fluent speaking a language other than English
Some out of town travel required. Position may require more statewide work over time. Occasional weekend and evening work is required.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $51,000 – $72,000, depending on experience. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits at no premium cost to the employee, 401k plan, partial cell phone reimbursement, transit pass reimbursement and generous time off. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that encourages teamwork and recognizes high-quality work.
To apply: Please email your cover letter, resume and a brief writing sample to Melanie J. Prasad email@example.com with “California Organizer” in the subject line. Applicants will only be contacted if they meet the minimum requirements. Please do not call.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.